28 May 2014

Grammar: 'The same.....as'

'The same.....as' is an expression used for making comparisons. Let's look at how to use this expression:

1. 'the same' + noun or noun phrase + 'as' + noun or noun phrase:
His car is the same make and model as my motorcycle.
2. 'the same' + noun or noun phrase + 'as' + dependent clause:
His car is the same make and model as the one I bought.
They took the same train to Paris as he did.
(Notice the use of the auxiliary verb in the second half corresponds to the verb tense used in the first half of the sentence.)
They are taking the same train to Paris as I am.
They have taken the same train to Paris as I have.
The will take the same train to Paris as I will.
3. 'the same' + noun or noun phrase + 'as' + object pronouns or other object : this form is more common in everyday speech
I took the same train to Paris as him.
I took the same train to Paris as Tom.
4. 'the same' + noun or noun phrase + 'as' + subject pronouns: this form is more formal
I took the same train as he. (We are just leaving out ‘did’)
5. 'the same' + noun or noun phrase + 'as' + possessive pronouns (mine, yours, his, hers, its, ours, theirs) or the possessive form with ‘s.
His car is the same make and model as mine.
His car is the same make and model as Tom’s.


Can you rewrite these sentences:
1. She and he are both in the same English class.
2. Tom’s sweater and Susan’s blouse both are the same color.
3. You and I are both catch the same commuter train to work.
4. You and she both have the same breed of dog.
5. You and I made the same mistake.
6. Susan and Estelle have the same dress.
7. George and Bob have the same color shirt.
8. You and I have taken the same history class.



Correction:
1. She is in the same class as him. Or She is in the same class as he. Or She is in the same class as he is.
2. Tom’s sweater is the same color as Susan’s blouse.
3. You catch the same commuter train as me. Or You catch the same commuter train as I do.
4. Your dog is the same breed as her dog. Or. Your dog is the same breed as hers. Or. Your dog is the same breed as the one she has.
5. You made the same mistake as me. Or. You made the same mistake as I did.
6. Susan has the same dress as Estelle. Or. Susan has the same dress as Estelle does.
7. George’s shirt is the same color as Bob’s.
8. You have taken the same the history class as me. Or You have taken the same history class as I have.

1 comment:

  1. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities may inspired others.
    Warehouse In chicago

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments or questions!!!